Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime. ~Aristotle
Poverty is the root cause of every problem in the society, has no doubts worse affects on human life. Traditional gender roles in Pakistan especially in NWFP, which remains indulged in tribal culture, define the woman’s place as in the home and not in the workplace, and define the man as the breadwinner. Consequently, the society invests far less in women than men. Women in NWFP suffer more from poverty of opportunities throughout their lives as compared to other provinces.
Economic vulnerability is a key factor in the rise of poverty in Pakistan; vulnerability also arises from social powerlessness, political instability, and ill-functioning institutions. Corruption and political instabilities such as various separatist movements in Baluchistan and Waziristan resulted in reduction of business confidence, deterioration of economic growth, reduced public expenditure, poor delivery of public services, and undermining of the rule of law.
The root causes of current unrest in whole country especially FATA and FRS are linked with the absence of the opportunities for youth in all sections of life in general and particular in livelihoods. Active participation of the youth in decision making and development of the area is neglected and never given a chance to decide their fate. This made youth of the area frustrated and restless and compelled them to take part in the unhealthy activities. Poverty and the lack of modern curriculum have proved destabilizing factors for Pakistani society as these causes our youth to be exploited by religious organizations banned by the government to run schools and produce militant literature.
Eradication of poverty cannot be brought about by charity, but needs first and foremost empowering the poor, focusing on women, and tapping their tremendous potential. Poverty Eradication Initiative (PEI) is a non-political, non-partisan and non-profit organization working as a facilitator to initiate and sustain women and children oriented developmental processes both at policy and community level on partnership basis. The firm’s registered office is located in Peshawar. PEI has been set up by individuals, mainly from NWFP, who came together in 1998 to support initiatives to improve their quality of life of common citizens with the focus on the family and Society.
The PEI has also some broader objectives:
- To facilitate linkages for increasing effective coverage of development process.
- To build institutional capacity at local level focusing women for sustainable development.
- To build institutional capacity of PEI for effective and efficient functioning of organization.
- To raise funds for self-reliance of PEI for sustenance of PEI vision and mission.
- To execute business and raise funds both within and outside Pakistan to become self-supporting.
- To write, print, publish issue and circulate gratuitously or otherwise any newsletters, reports, periodicals, books, newspapers, films, pamphlets, leaflets, other documents, posters, bill-Boards, and all other information.
- To arrange, hold and provide for workshops, lectures, meetings, classes, conferences and other things reasonably necessary for the advancement of the aims of Poverty Eradication Initiative.
- To establish and manage libraries and resource centers.
- To undertake and execute any charitable trusts for the welfare of women and children which may be lawfully established by Poverty Eradication Initiative.
- To raise funds and receive contributions from any person or persons whatsoever by way of subscriptions, donations and otherwise.
- To establish and support or aid in the establishment and support of any charitable institution trust or fund.
- To conduct, carryout, supervise or support research, participatory or otherwise, in the field of development, social and human welfare and other related fields.
- To collect or otherwise acquire information relating to the aims of Poverty Eradication Initiative and to collect, communicate process, translate, print, publish or disseminate the same.
- To conduct, carryout, organize or otherwise arrange or assist in the training of workers, researchers and others involved in development related fields.
- To enter into and carry into effect agreements or arrangements with associations, institutions, companies or individuals which are necessary for the attainment or furtherance of Poverty Eradication Initiative’s aims or any of them.
- To purchase, take on lease or in exchange, hire or otherwise acquire any real or personal property or any estate or interest whatsoever and any rights privileges and easements over or in respect of any property which may be considered necessary for the aim of Poverty Eradication Initiative.
- To sell, manage, lease, mortgage, exchang4e, dispose of or otherwise deal with and turn to account all or any part of the property of Poverty Eradication Initiative, whether movable or immovable, with a view to the promotion of its aims or any of them;
- To borrow and raise money in such manner as may be considered necessary.
- To invest and deal with any monies of Poverty Eradication Initiative not immediately required for use in connection with any of its aims in the purchase of funds, securities, or other investments or property movable or of whatsoever nature, and situated anywhere in Pakistan.
- To pay all expenses of and incidental to the incorporation and establishment of Poverty Eradication Initiative.
To do all other lawful things, incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above aims.